One of the most difficult questions to answer is "what am I worth". There are limited public resources available to answer this question accurately, especially for typical MBA jobs. Our Employer Research Chart indicates a number of sites that provide some salary information. Sites that primarily focus on salary data are:
- GlassDoor – Provides great information about jobs, salaries, company reviews, and interesting interview questions for thousands of companies, worldwide
- TransparentMBA - MBA specific crowd-sourced compensation and satisfaction data
- Salary.com – users can input job industry, job type/title and geographical location and receive a salary report for that position; also contains good salary news and advice including how to view your "total worth."
- Both Salary Expert and PayScale require you to enter a variety of anonymous job characteristics (including current title, reporting structure, current pay, benefits, certification, education, etc.) before generating comparative salary reports
- Executive search firms and recruiters can give insight to industry and market trends in compensation. Consult the Executive Search section to understand better how to engage with search professionals.
Relocating can have a big impact on compensation needs and cost of living. Some good sites for exploring geographic pay/cost differentials are:
- Money Magazine COLA calculator – site that calculates the cost of living adjustment (COLA) and how far your salary will go in different major cities.
- Homefair – a comprehensive site including salary calculator, cost of living, mortgage calculator, moving costs estimator, and side-by-side comparisons of cities and schools.