One of the most difficult questions to answer is "what am I worth". There are limited public resources available to answer this question accurately, especially for typical MBA jobs. Our Employer Research Chart indicates a number of sites that provide some salary information. Sites that primarily focus on salary data are:
- GlassDoor – Provides great information about jobs, salaries, company reviews, and interesting interview questions for thousands of companies, worldwide
- Salary.com – users can input job industry, job type/title and geographical location and receive a salary report for that position; also contains good salary news and advice including how to view your "total worth."
- Both Salary Expert and Payscale.com require you to enter a variety of anonymous job characteristics (including current title, reporting structure, current pay, benefits, certification, education, etc.) before generating comparative salary reports
- Executive search firms and recruiters can give insight to industry and market trends in compensation. Consult the Executive Search section to understand better how to engage with search professionals.
- Trends and issues surrounding executive pay are reported on regularly on Bloomberg Business Week's Management IQ area
Relocating can have a big impact on compensation needs and cost of living. Some good sites for exploring geographic pay/cost differentials are:
- Money Magazine COLA calculator – site that calculates the cost of living adjustment (COLA) and how far your salary will go in different major cities.
- Homefair – a comprehensive site including salary calculator, cost of living, mortgage calculator, moving costs estimator, and side-by-side comparisons of cities and schools.