Finding satisfaction in the right combination of work and life is crucial to personal and professional success. This quest for balance is not only uniquely personal but also changes based on different phases of life. Identifying near- and long-term priorities, why you want to work and the variables dictating your situation will help you make good decisions and find the right fit.
These books explore this topic in depth:
- Work + Life Fit: Finding the Fit That’s Right for You, by Cali Williams Yost, includes strategies and practical approaches on how to establish personal boundaries at work. Check out Cali’s blog at http://worklifefit.com/blog.
- What’s Happening to Home: Balancing Work, Life and Refuge in the Information Age, by Maggie Jackson, explores how technology has blurred the boundaries between work and home.
These companies can be a source for flexible work:
- AquentMarketing – This site delivers interim marketing and creative insourcing to Fortune 500 companies. Associates help cover gaps in a company’s marketing department due to surges in deliverables, even fill in for maternity, medical or family leave. Register online to become an associate or call +1-800-650-0550.
- OnDemand Resources – Darden alumnus, Jan Malasek, founded this firm to provide companies with project consultants, staff augmentation and interim managers. The company is particularly interested in alumni with consulting backgrounds.
- Flexible Resources Inc. – Search firm that places professionals in flexible work situations. Specializes in placements in accounting, engineering, finance, human resources, legal, marketing/PR and sales.
- Business Talent Group – Places independent business professionals in full-time, part-time and flexible interim executive and project consulting roles.
- Resources Global Professionals – This consulting company hires experienced professionals (10+ years of experience) in the fields of finance and accounting, internal audit, human resources, information management, supply chain management and law to work on a project-by-project basis. You can accept the projects you want according to your interests and schedule.
- HourlyNerd – This site allows businesses to hire MBA graduates as part-time business consultants for a variety of projects.